Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Rachel’s First Week

Rachel Lord

Russell Building

Russell Building

My summer internship experience began on Monday, July 15 in Senator Burr’s office. I work in the Russell building, which is a quick walk from Union Station and right near the Capitol. Union Station is hub for many DC tourists, shoppers, and commuting professionals. Whenever I look down over the food court, I see blobs of orange, green, and blue shirts signaling hoards of middle school students on tours. The metro is easy to navigate and many attractions on Capitol Hill are located in the area, such as the Library of Congress, the Supreme Court, and the National Mall.

Union Station

Union Station

After work I have met with friends to walk around and see some of the most influential buildings in our nation.

Front Office

Front Office

When I arrived on the first day, my supervisor went over the procedures of the office and spent time getting to know all the new interns. After the introduction, I went to the ID office to receive my intern badge. Little did I realize that it was like receiving my license and therefore, freedom. The ID allows me to use the underground subway and tunnels that connect the Senate buildings and the Capitol Building, which are used by many Senators travelling back and forth from their offices to the Senate Gallery. Everyone is friendly, and I often see Senator McCain smiling when I walk by. I can also use corridors in the Capitol that only allow authorized access only, which is convenient when I want to explore some day during lunch!  

Declaration of Independence

Declaration of Independence

One of my main responsibilities is to give tours to constituents. When I arrived in the Capitol Building I could not believe the amount of information and history that resides in the building! One of my favorite parts of the Capitol is the Declaration of Independence, painted by John Trumbull. In the painting, Thomas Jefferson is taller and well-dressed compared to John Adams because he paid Trumbull to make him appear more prominent. Ironically, the two found friendship toward the end of their lives, but their rivalry was painted for posterity.

Capitol Building

Capitol Building

The rest of the week was as busy as my first day, as I began giving Capitol tours for constituents, running errands, and answering phones. I have enjoyed my first week in the office and am excited to continue my internship!

Until next time,

~Rachel Lord, ’13 – Politics and International Affairs Major and History and Entrepreneurship Minors

Intern at the office of Senator Richard Burr