" />

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Self Discovery and Reflection – Part 2

Congratulations to our Diary of an Intern series’ student blog contributors!  This month, they are completing their summer internships.  Their final post is a reflection on self discovery and experience as interns.  Therefore, I am giving them their own space to share what they learned about themselves and the skills developed during their internships.  Read their reflections in a 3-part series – Diary of an Intern:  Self Discovery and Reflection.

Let’s learn what Zach discovered about himself and the experience at Condé Nast in New York City.

Zach GarbisoLooking back on my first week of my internship in New York City, I have noticed that a lot of things have changed.  I have grown as a result of my summer and I have learned a lot about myself during the entire process.  I learned that I am able to work on a wide variety of projects simultaneously and still manage to get them finished in a timely fashion.  Working in Editorial, I frequently had to prioritize assignments (which transcription needs to be turned in before which clip file etc.).  While working with the editors at Details, one of the most important things I realized was that while they all managed to get to the same place, they all went about it a different way.  Being a rising senior contemplating a career in a field that is not my major, it was really amazing for me to see that if you set your mind to doing something, it doesn’t matter what you studied, just that you are driven.

I really enjoyed working for Details magazine.  One of the most interesting things that I did as an Editorial Intern was compiling research about the various stories Details published.  I know that researching might sound tedious, but I was researching some of the most interesting subject matter out there: celebrities.  Therefore, compiling every article I found on x celebrity was a very entertaining process.  

Condé Nast provided an Intern Speaker Series and one of the talks that I found most helpful was the discussion focused on asking for feedback.  The speakers were members of the Human Resources Team and one of the many things that I took from that talk was that no matter where you are in your career (an intern, assistant, or even an executive) you can, and should ask the people around you for feedback.  There are always people around you that can discuss what you’re doing well and what you could potentially improve.

Overall, I think that living in New York City and working with a company like Condé Nast really provided me with a lot of experience with working in the real world and has really prepared me for the process of finding a job at the end of this coming year.  During my summer, I’m lucky to have met a lot of really incredible and impressive people.

~ Zach Garbiso, ‘14 – Psychology major and English and Spanish minors

Editorial Intern at Details magazine in NYC