Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

I am thankful for…

Is a popular post popping up on Facebook news feeds this month. If you have a Facebook page, you may have seen a post from a friend or two state, “I am thankful for…” as his/her status update. I am guilty of participating in these daily updates.  It provides a grounding perspective for what truly matters to me, and what I am appreciative of and grateful for in life. The giving of thanks is not a new phenomenon; especially for November. The Thanksgiving holiday reminds us to be thankful.  The holiday was dedicated to giving thanks in the spirit of bringing people together and sharing a meal with traditional favorites. Perhaps, it’s a time for personal reflection on the year that is coming to a close. May be it is time spent with family and friends. Whatever Thanksgiving means for you – be thankful.

What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? As a matter of fact, don’t keep the attitude for gratitude only for November. Gratitude is something we need to possess and express every day. On a daily basis, find something you are appreciative of or find something you are grateful for. As a daily reflection, end each day with “I am thankful for…”.

Don’t discount the little things in life. It’s the small things that make the greatest impact. It can be as simple as I am thankful for my roommate remembering my birthday. Pass on the gratitude to that person by telling him/her you appreciate the remembrance of your special day.

So, what are you thankful for this Thanksgiving? Carry forward this gratitude every day. You may be surprised what impact gratefulness has on you and others around you.

Happy Thanksgiving!