Why YOU Should Attend the Career Fair
January 14th, 2014 | Comment
No matter the class year, or job/internship search phase…The Spring Career Fair is for you!
Here are a few reasons why you should attend:
1) Explore…what companies and industries recruit at Wake Forest University. Log into or register with DeaconSource to read the list of companies attending the career fair. Select specific companies of interest. Seek information on a few different companies/industries. Go with an open mind. You may find an unexpected fit with a company not on your radar.
2) Discover…what types of interns or job candidates they seek, and the skills they want interns and graduates to have as a competitive candidate. Ask about the types of majors they seek…you may be surprised to find many employers hire all majors. Gather information on internship and job opportunities. Attend information sessions to gather additional information on the company such as company culture.
3) Practice…speaking with employers. Deliver your elevator pitch…what do you have to offer the company and why should they hire you.
4) Connect…with employers. This is your opportunity to network with employers wanting to hire Wake Forest students. You never know…you may meet an employer, make an impression, and open a door to an opportunity. Many recruiters are Wake Forest alums, so it is a safe environment to connect with an employer. You already share one common interest…being a Demon Deacon.
You may be asking…How do I prepare for the career fair? What do I wear? What do I say?
These are a few common questions all students have about preparing for the career fair.
The Office of Personal and Career Development is offering a variety of student resources to successfully prepare for the Spring Career Fair on Wednesday, January 22nd.
- Follow the Professional Confessional Career Fair Series. The career fair series will provide tips and advice from experts in the Office of Personal and Career Development for success before, during, and after the career fair. Be prepared – follow the blog to get your questions answered and make the most of the career fair.
- Download the WF Career Fair + app to your cell phone or tablet. Search “Wake Forest Career Fair” in the App Store or Google Play Store. Use the app to review the list of 50+ employers, view the floorplan and mark the employers you want to visit, and learn important career fair tips to help you prepare.
- Make the most of the career fair by attending the Career Fair Prep Session on Tuesday, January 21st at 4pm in Greene 145. Career Coaches and a recruiter from DISH Network will share tips on how to make the most of the Career Fair. This will be helpful if you’re attending for the first time or if you just want to sharpen your skills.
Explore, Discover, Practice, and Connect at the Spring Career Fair on Wednesday, January 22nd from 12:00pm to 4:00pm in Benson 401.
Category: Professional Development