" />

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Introducing a New Student Contributor

I am excited to introduce a new Diary of an Intern student contributor joining us the latter half of the summer! Follow her on her journey of discovering the world of work, skill development, and the lessons learned in the process.

Let’s discover who she is, where she will be interning, why, and what she hopes to gain from the experience.

Ciao!

My name is Lauren Friezo and I am a rising senior from Montclair, New Jersey. I am an English major, with double-minors in Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise and Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies.

The view from my classroom in Rome. It was hard to concentrate with the Pantheon right outside the window.

My first post is a bit delayed, as I’ve spent the past month studying travel-writing in Rome, Italy, with the Wake Forest Department of Journalism. There, I was able to combine a few of my favorite things — food, exploring a new city and of course, writing!

I had this delicious cacio e pepe pasta at Roscioli in Rome. I can’t wait to see what my internship will have me eating when I get back to NYC!

When I head back to New Jersey at the end of June, I’ll be interning with Gael Greene, the restaurant critic and novelist. After her stint as New York Magazine’s restaurant critic for over 40 years, Ms. Greene is now a freelance writer who runs her brand — InsatiableCritic.com — out of a New York City apartment. This will be my second summer working with her. Last summer, my intern responsibilities involved making restaurant and travel reservations, editing and proofreading weekly articles and uploading content and photography to Ms. Greene’s website. I was also able to attend amazing foodie events — like the 2013 Rumble at the Rock, hosted by Citymeals-on-Wheels, where I got to sample foie gras with strawberries prepared by Daniel Boulud.

This summer, I’ll have more of an opportunity to get out of the office and do some reporting around New York City. My assignments may lead me to amazing (and delicious) new discoveries. I hope that this internship will help sharpen my reporting and networking skills. Working with Ms. Greene is a great way to see what the life of a freelance writer really is like. I’m not exactly sure what I want to do once I graduate, but I know it’ll involve writing and sharing my ideas and experiences.

I can’t wait to share it all with you!

Lauren Friezo, ‘15 – English major