" />

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Charles’ Self-Discovery & Reflection – Part 1

Congratulations to our Diary of an Intern series’ student blog contributor, Charles Thomas! He completed his summer internship. Charles’ final posts are reflections on self discovery and experience as an intern. Charles will share what he learned about himself and the skills developed during the internship. Read his reflection in a 2-part series – Diary of an Intern: Self Discovery and Reflection.

Let’s learn what Charles discovered about himself and the experience at the Royal Geographical Society in Hong Kong.

Shutting down the computer for the last time.

My time as an intern for the Royal Geographical Society – Hong Kong afforded me an incredible range of experiences from which to learn.  While in the office, the projects I completed offered me experience with drafting, editing, and condensing various documents.  Through these assignments, I not only honed my prior writing ability, but I learned new skills, such as how to produce an executive summary report.  I also sat in on meetings with the RGS-HK Director, during which he formed relationships with prospective individual and corporate sponsors.  After these meetings, the RGS-HK Director often explained to me why he did or said certain things and he would sometimes ask my perspective and challenge me to defend it.  Additionally, the RGS-HK Events Officer brought me with her to school outreach programs, where we ensured that each event ran smoothly and evaluated the events, providing feedback to RGS-HK on how to improve future school outreach programs.  Similarly, I was involved in the evening lecture events as well, which RGS-HK hosted for members and guests of members.  The most recent lecture, for example, featured an analysis of how China and Japan’s involvement in World War II continues to shape the political climate in the Eastern world.  Among other tasks, I was responsible for taking notes on these lectures for future reference. What was particularly enthralling about my internship was that, while I spent most of my time working on internal operations, I also had exposure to the output of our work in the office, through attending evening lectures, school outreach programs, field trips, and interacting with members.  Interning with RGS-HK was an incredible opportunity and I am excited to see how what I learned there will shape my life in the future. 

Charles Thomas ’16 – Politics and International Affairs major, Communication and Entrepreneurship double minor