Site Content

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Charles’ Self-Discovery & Reflection – Part 2

Congratulations to our Diary of an Intern series’ student blog contributor, Charles Thomas! He completed his summer internship. Charles’ final posts are reflections on self discovery and experience as an intern. Charles will share what he learned about himself and the skills developed during the internship. Read his reflection in a 2-part series – Diary of an Intern: Self Discovery and Reflection.

Let’s read what Charles learned from others and the advice he gives to future interns, especially when interning internationally.  Great new perspective and fantastic advice!

Now that I have finished interning for the Royal Geographical Society – Hong Kong (RGS-HK), my next step is ensuring that I apply what I learned.  What I found to be perhaps the most influential aspect of my internship was the way in which it shaped my perspective.  First, spending time abroad in almost any capacity means exposure to different cultures and ways of life.  Because Hong Kong has such a pronounced international influence, I had the opportunity to form relationships with not only people native to Hong Kong, but ex-patriots from a wide variety of nationalities.  Furthermore, interning with RGS-HK, an organization designed to accentuate geographical phenomena across the globe, demonstrated to me that there are more ways to lead one’s life than I had previously considered.  For example, the guest speakers I met ranged from geopolitical analysts to professional mountaineers.  What each of them seemed to share was an ability to make the most of the hand they were dealt.  In relation to my own future, I learned that I do not need to know every detail of the path I want to follow, as long as I can recognize and seize the opportunities that come my way.  If I had to offer any advice to future interns, I would suggest hitting the ground running.  First impressions are important and if you prove yourself right away, you may set the tone for a much more valuable internship experience than you would have otherwise.  This is especially important for American students.  Internationally, some people have the perception that American students are unfocused and lazy—prove them wrong.

Charles Thomas ’16 – Politics and International Affairs major, Communication and Entrepreneurship double minor