" />

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Lauren’s First Week

Lauren has experienced her first week at her internship. She is doing some amazing work and partaking in once-in-a-lifetime experiences.

Let’s find out how her week went and view pictures of where she works. Check out Lauren’s first week!

NJ Transit to NYC

NJ Transit to NYC

Hi everyone! I’m back home and working. Ms. Greene’s office is on the Upper West Side, so I commute from my house in New Jersey. I catch the 9:12 a.m. train into Penn Station (a 40 minute ride). On the train, I scroll through restaurant news on Eater.com to see if there is anything that Ms. Greene will want to hear about.

Penn Station to the office.

Penn Station to the office.

When I get off in Penn, I take either the 2 or 3 Subway line, which gets me to work in 10 minutes. I’m not sure if commuting will ever be easy, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s try to look like you know where you’re going! Most of the time, you do know the way, but you second guess yourself among the crowds and chaos.  If you are lost, you can discreetly use the iPhone app HopStop

I really recommend HopStop to anyone who has to use the Subway in NYC.

The Subway was hot and crowded with temperatures as high as can be.

In Ms. Greene’s office, there’s her, her personal assistant, Maria, and her year-round intern, Ana (Ana builds on Ms. Greene’s social media presence and her Etsy shop). I am lucky that Ms. Greene takes the weather into consideration when giving us assignments. Since temperatures were nearly 100 degrees last week, I did most of my work in office.

When you’re a freelance writer, you are your brand, and Ms. Greene has taught me the importance of ‘packaging your persona.’ Last summer, she began an Etsy shop, “The Accidental Bag Lady.” 

This Vintage Beaded Evening Bag with Art Deco Flower Design is one of my favorites of Ms. Greene’s.

She collects vintage evening bags, and wanted to find a way to write about them and sell them. Each bag has a unique story and she loves sharing where she purchased the purses (or who gifted them!) and what restaurants they’ve been to by her side (funny how one can be jealous of a purse…). I spent my time photographing and writing copy for their Etsy descriptions. Ms. Greene inspires me to take what I like to do and turn it into income, whether that be writing or collecting antiques.

Next week, it’ll be back to food!

Lauren Friezo, ‘15 – English major