Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Laura’s Projects / The People / The Skills

Let’s find out what Laura has been doing the last few weeks.

Laura JurotichI am working in the Visitor Experience department this summer at the Nantucket Historical Association (NHA) as a Public Programs intern. I work most closely with our Public Programs Coordinator, Corey, and the other Public Programs intern, Maggie. We work closely with others in the Visitor Experience department as well as throughout the NHA to facilitate the wide variety of family and public programs that the NHA hosts throughout the summer. Our programs thus far have ranged from Family Adventure Day at the Oldest House to a lecture on Quaker Nantucket to a rooftop party with a local events planner to a four-night run of Orson Welles’ play Moby-Dick Rehearsed that wrapped last night. Maggie and I facilitate the drop-in painting in the Greater Light garden program every Wednesday morning where all are encouraged to come to the garden at the 1930’s barn-converted-artist home and watercolor paint in the gardens.

The NHA assigns projects to each intern to work on throughout the summer. My project is to create crafts for family programs happening at the NHA throughout the year, including Family Adventure Day, Harvest Fair, and Night of Holiday Magic. I created three crafts for Family Adventure Day, which occurred last Sunday at our Oldest House property, including paper plate discs, faux-wood grain boxes, and strewing herb sachets. In addition to planning the crafts for Family Adventure Day, I also helped plan and organize the program. I am now working on creating and prototyping crafts that are fun, educational, venue appropriate, and historically accurate for Harvest Fair and Night of Holiday Magic.

I am developing many skills this summer, especially customer service. All of our visitors are our customers, and I am constantly working to ensure that they have the best experience possible. My supervisor described how we are producing events for our visitors, and it is our job to ensure that they have a flawless visit, whether it is to the Whaling Museum, one of our historic sites, or a public program. I spend much of my time interacting with our visitors, and it has made me highly aware of being able to anticipate their needs and answer all questions. I am extremely grateful to be learning these incredibly valuable customer service skills at the NHA this summer.

Laura Jurotich ’15 – History and Art History double major