" />

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of An Intern: Lauren’s Projects / The People / The Skills

Let’s find out what Lauren has been doing the last few weeks.

Lauren FriezoHere are some updates on my third week of work, the skills I’m building and the tasty treats I enjoyed:

I’ve finally grasped the Subway. Here’s my 72nd Street stop!

I work directly with restaurant critic Ms. Greene, her assistant Maria and her social media intern, Ana. The projects we undertake correlate with what Ms. Greene is writing. If she’s working on a BITE review for her website, Insatiable-critic.com, the three of us edit her work and help choose the photographs to be featured. My editing skills have improved a lot, and I now know how important it is to fact-check every chef and ingredient mentioned. If she’s working on a FORKPLAY e-mail newsletter, we format the e-mail through ConstantContact.com, on top of editing and choosing photos. Occasionally we have to use HTML coding so the articles look perfect. I’m becoming comfortable with basic HTML and building on what I learned in my Computer Science 111 course at Wake Forest.

On Thursday, I attended Broadway Bites. There were over 30 food vendors.

Sometimes Ms. Greene is in need of specific information — the name of a certain dish or ingredient — that’s difficult to find. It’s up to us! We have to disguise the fact that we’re working for her, as she likes anonymity when reviewing. I’ve been pushed to think creatively and act quickly, making my fair share of phone calls to restaurants using accents and fake names to figure out secret ingredients. These little details are vital to creating a piece filled with sensory-input.

Roberta’s of Brooklyn brought their own pizza oven. The garlicky dough was light-as-air and melted in my mouth.

A major perk of my internship is Ms. Greene’s overflowing inbox! Every day she receives invites to foodie events, charity events and restaurant openings. She thoughtfully forwards them and encourages us to taste and explore. On Thursday, I went to Broadway Bites, a culinary pop-up market in Greeley Square Park. I spent an hour weaving through the restaurant stalls — nibbling on Buffalo Chicken Arancini from Arancini Bros, “the white guy” pizza from Roberta’s, a pulled-pork eggroll from Mason Jar NYC and clam chowder from Red Hook Lobster Pound. It was such a vibrant experience and the food was delicious. I plan on going back again this week to interview some of the chefs and attendees.

Lauren Friezo, ‘15 – English major