Site Content

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Diary of an Intern: Lauren’s Self-Discovery & Reflection – Part 1

Congratulations to our Diary of an Intern series’ student blog contributor, Lauren Friezo! She completed her summer internship. Lauren’s final posts are reflections on self discovery and experience as an intern. Lauren will share what she learned about herself and the skills developed during the internship. Read her reflection in a 2-part series – Diary of an Intern: Self Discovery and Reflection.

Let’s learn what Lauren discovered about herself and the experience working with Gael Greene, the restaurant critic and novelist, in NYC.

Lauren FriezoI am so thankful for my internship with Gael Greene. Working closely with Ms. Greene, I was exposed to many aspects of being a writer. I applaud the way in which Ms. Greene pulls inspiration from the food she tastes, the people she meets and, believe it or not, the lucky interns like myself who spend time in her office!

Me chowing down on one last Arancino from Arancini Bros NYC before the summer is over

Me chowing down on one last Arancino from Arancini Bros NYC before the summer is over.

After weeks together, Ms. Greene and I really opened up to each other and discussed much more than her latest BITE restaurant review. Ms. Greene was interested and concerned with my future career. We had many conversations about “possible lives” post-graduation and the realities of being a woman in the workforce. We talked about having children, our families, and the demands society places on female, freelance writers. Ms. Greene’s advice was so valuable for me as I enter into my senior year of college and face major decisions.

The sun sets on my amazing internship. Thanks to Professional Confessional for letting me share it with you all!

Though it is often difficult for me to open up to others, I realized that speaking candidly with Ms. Greene was vital in building our relationship. If I hadn’t been truthful when she asked me what I wanted to do with the rest of my life (Read: I have no idea what I want to do!), I would not have been able to utilise her wealth of knowledge. I think this is the most important thing that I will take away from my internship: the realization that the people you work for can help you as much as (or even more than) you help them.On some days — if Ms. Greene needed peace and quiet to write an article — the office was a little slow. Yet it was on these days that I revealed my strengths as an intern. Ms. Greene trusted me to know what was important. I would snap photographs of purses and jewelry, update her Pinterest page and read NY Times, Eater.com, and Grubstreet.com. I knew that it was up to me to interact with Gael’s fans on social media, make Etsy sales and monitor food news — I always made sure to be doing something. Every time Gael asked me, “What’s new?” I had an answer. My love for social media, food and reading really came in handy!

Lauren Friezo, ‘15 – English major