" />

Professional Confessional

A blog providing tips and resources for life after college

Giving It the Old College Try: A Sophomore’s Approach to Making the Most of a Career Event!

Hayden Lineberger Compass Final

My name is Hayden Lineberger and I am from Winston-Salem, NC. I am a rising junior majoring in Business and Enterprise Management with a concentration in Marketing. My minor is Entrepreneurship and Social Enterprise. I hope to work in brand marketing for a large consumer packaged goods company. I have applied to several companies for a summer internship position in marketing and hope to build my business skills through the experience.  

Tell us about your visit to MullenLowe and HanesBrands.

HAYDEN:  MullenLowe is a full service prestigious advertising agency known for television, print and digital advertising, web design, and social media. They are headquartered in Boston, with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, and Winston-Salem. HanesBrands is the world’s largest manufacturer and marketer of basic apparel. They make and market some of the strongest brands in America – Hanes, Champion, Maidenform, and L’eggs.

I learned about these field trip opportunities through Wake Forest’s Handshake platform. I was fortunate enough to visit both MullenLowe and HanesBrands and learn about the scope of work that these industry leaders perform. At both offices, the Wake Forest students toured the companies and were given an insider’s perspective on their businesses. We were able to ask questions and develop networking connections for future internships and jobs.

Why did you decide to attend this event?

HAYDEN:   I decided to attend these events as both companies are in my possible career field of marketing. I could see myself working for either of these companies after I graduate, and therefore, thought that the trips would be a great opportunity to learn more about the companies and the different marketing jobs and clients that they have.

What would you like to confess about attending the MullenLowe – HanesBrands visit?

HAYDEN:  I would like to confess that I really enjoy the networking aspects of these field trips. It is invaluable to make these contacts for future career opportunities. I always try to get a business card from the people I meet, and follow up with a thank you email.

Would you do anything differently? Did you make any mistakes at the event? If so, what?

HAYDEN:  If I had to do one thing differently, I would have asked more questions than I did – I was afraid to talk too much.

Did you consider the event a success for you? Why or why not?

HAYDEN: Both of these events were a tremendous success for me. At no other time in my life have I been able to take advantage of similar opportunities to network with high level executives.

Hayden, you’re only a sophomore but you are already taking advantage of great career development opportunities. How would you advise someone who is unsure of their career goals, but wants to try something like this?

HAYDEN: I think it is very beneficial to go on these field trips as it exposes you to different industries and helps you decide if the career might interest you.  You can ask questions that also help you gain a better understanding about the different jobs within the companies. There is no better way to gain exposure to an industry then to visit a company and speak with employees.  The time commitment is minimal and the benefits are huge.

Interested in learning more about some of the skills Hayden gained? Join our “How to Succeed on a Job/Internship” Workshop with coach Cheryl Hicks. This event will be taking place on Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 4 PM in the Innovation Station. Register here!